Thread veins (also known as telangiectasia) are small blood vessels often seen on the surface of the face and the legs. They are harmless and can be more visible as we age. Thread veins can be caused by several factors including:
Genetic inheritance / Ageing / Sedentary lifestyle / Leg injuries / Hormonal changes / Sun damage / Alcohol / Smoking / Obesity / Environmental / Rosacea.
A laser is used to remove the thread veins through a process called selective thermolysis where laser energy is directed at the vein, which absorbs the heat energy from the laser and causes the vessel wall to collapse and seal the vein shut which is in capable of regrowing resulting in the disappearance of the vein. The treated vein is then removed by the body’s immune system naturally. The laser does not affect any other structure in the skin other than the targeted vein.
Who can have treatment?
Over 18 years only
Is this treatment painful?
The treatment can be slightly uncomfortable – often described as ‘an elastics band flicking on the skin’.
Is it suitable for all veins?
This treatment is suitable only for thin small spider like veins on the face and legs. It is not suitable for large varicose veins. Therefore, it is best to book an appointment for a consultation to check suitability.
What results will you see?
On the face you can get up to 90% reduction from one treatment with instant visible results. On the body the reduction is visible over the following weeks after treatment. The results are permanent, however if you are prone to thread veins you may need treatment on new veins that become apparent.
What is the down time?
There is little downtime after treatment, there will be some redness/swelling after treatment which is temporary and subsides in a few hours. There can be some scabbing on the treated veins (especially the on the legs) which will disappear in a few days.
What is the cost?
The treatment cost will depend on the size of the areas to be treated. Prices start from £250 for areas treated for 15 minutes on the face. The body often requires a few treatments to eliminate the veins as these are often larger vessels than the face, therefore a course of treatment may be advised.
Preparation before treatment:
- We advise no self-tanning products, sunbathing or sunbeds to be used prior to treatment and after until review of treatment.
- Stop all active skin preparations (i.e. retinol based) 5 days before and after treatment.
- Avoid heat on the skin on the day of your treatment.
- Where necessary, shave the area prior to treatment.
Post treatment care:
- No hot baths or showers – tepid only
- Avoid touching or scratching the area
- No exfoliating products to be used on treatment area for 4 weeks
- If scabbing appears, this needs to be left to heal naturally and must not be picked off.
- No Spa treatments i.e., saunas and steam rooms, swimming, or Jacuzzis.
- SPF 30+ must be worn on exposed skin daily.
During the consultation, the pharmacist will assess your veins to check for suitability for the laser treatment. If suitable a fully comprehensive consultation will be carried out and a patch test will be carried out on the area to be treated. Treatment will be booked 48 hours after patch test. The cost of the consultation is £25.